Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Energy Drinks


Living in a society that never stops, people are starting to rely on energy drinks for their daily energy. Students that take several advanced placement classes and other rigorous classes stay up almost all night, sleep for two or three hours, and then drink energy drinks throughout the day. Energy drinks are loaded with caffeine. "Most energy drinks contain at least as much caffeine as a standard eight-ounce cup of coffee (~80mg). To put it into perspective, a 12oz. soda contains 18-48mg of caffeine. In addition to large doses of caffeine, energy drinks contain excessive amounts of sugar & legal herbal stimulants," says Dr. Edward Group. If only teenagers knew what was in these drinks and the effects they can have on their body. There are better ways to get energy such as healthy eating and a healthy amount of sleep. Here are a few ingredients in most energy drinks:
Ginseng – A root that is believed to help reduce stress and increase energy levels.
Carnitine – An amino acid that helps to metabolize fatty acids.
Gingko Biloba – Created from the seeds of the gingko biloba tree, it has been shown to enhance memory.
Taurine – A natural amino acid produced by the human body. Taurine helps to regulate normal heart-beats and muscle contractions. Its effects on people when consumed as a drink additive remain unclear.
Inositol – A member of the B-complex Vitamin that assists in the relaying of messages between cells. Inositol is not a vitamin itself.
Guarana Seed – A stimulant that grows in Brazil & Venezuela which contains high levels of caffeine.
(Dr. Edward Group)
For more information click here.

3 comments:

  1. It is rediculous how much more people are relying on energy drinks in order to make it through the day. Personally, I don't think that energy drinks are good for you. Their consumption will only increase, but I for one have never and never plan on taking an energy drink. I can make it through the day all on my own, and I certainly don't need a sugar high unlike so many people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's incredible how many people in society are becoming dependent on energy drinks in other to function properly throughout the day. Just this week a girl in my first period mentioned that she drinks energy drinks throughout the day because she gets very little sleep because of her tough schedule,. If she only knew what she was doing to her body, this energy drinks contain large amounts of caffeine and sugar and are very unhealthy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've drank energy drinks before without knowing what I was actually drinking and what effects it has on my body. Since I don't like coffee, when I need a rush and need to stay awake, I drink energy drinks, although I don't do this often. Now that I know energy drinks are more harmful then I thought, I need to start looking for new alternatives.

    ReplyDelete